Monday, June 21, 2010

The Roots x Monsters Of Folk "Dear God 2.0"

Man oh man...

I remember when I first heard about Jimmy Fallon's late night talk show. I was geeked. I love Fallon. He was hilarious on SNL. And then I heard who was going to be the house band for the show...The legendary Roots crew. Probably my favorite hip-hop band of all time. I can remember back in 1995 when "Do You Want More?!!!??!" came out. ALL over it homie. I was a scrawny 14 year old who was just learning about hip-hop. I could consider this one of the albums that helped me fall in love with not only the music of hip-hop, but the culture in general. Pretty soon I was growing out dreadlocks, rocking a pair of huge "ear-goggle" headphones, wearing camo pants and unlaced Timberlands, freestyle rapping and tagging my name on every bus I rode with either a fat tip Magnum marker or a piece of sandpaper.

Fast-forward 16 years to present day. I still feel the same excitement for a new Roots album that I felt back then. I've been waiting patiently for "How I Got Over" since I started hearing tracks leak a while ago via twitter. The new album is going to be another classic, but I wouldn't expect anything less from these guys.

Just found a video of them performing "Dear God 2.0" with Monsters of Folk on Fallon. "Dear God" is my favorite song on the Monsters of Folk album, so the fact that they teamed up with The Roots for this single makes Don a very happy camper. If a dope song like this doesn't get you amped up for the album, I don't know what will. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment